Saturday, November 19, 2011

"Don't Expect Too Much..."

I have always had high expectations for myself and out of others. Granted, it may take me awhile to achieve my goals simply because I am the worlds greatest procrastinator but when I do something worth doing the results should be northing short of excellent. It’s in my nature to sit back and evaluate all the darkest corners of a situation. I want to speak as clearly and precisely as possible about an issue while keeping the emotions and feelings of the other party in mind. ***Note: Most issues where you have to care about the general wellbeing of another party should not be discussed while under the influence of wine.***

With that being said, what does one do when others do not expect the same thing? I’ve found it’s quite difficult to approach certain people when their guard is constantly up or when they are so narrow minded, numb, and afraid that I would have been better off caring about a blade of grass or a cube of sugar.

I’ve found that one of the most complicated things is caring too much and putting all of your efforts (this can include but is not limited to night long talks, delicious meals out and sometimes in, evening walks and dancing, sporadic shopping trips, rain checks, late night texts, etc.) and time into those you love. When this is done I often forget to take care of myself. Food often goes untouched or unthought of and the idea of sleep is almost laughable. Who needs sleep when Starbucks has developed those tasty little coffee packets that are so easy to pour into your water bottle!? Or when one of your best friends is so insanely addicted to Starbucks that he has a gold card that he uses about 20,198 times a day to get free refills?

So the greater question is, what should I expect once I leave the U.S. and Germany behind me? What is going to happen in the next month? I can’t help but wonder what kind of person I will morph into (hopefully a pink power ranger if all else fails). When traveling I often think of this quote that I’ve grown to cherish because it’s very true and surreal.

"You get a strange feeling when you're about to leave a place, I told him, like you'll not only miss the people you love but you'll miss the person you are now at this time and this place, because you'll never be this way again."
-Azar Nafisi, Reading Lolita in Tehran

Maybe it’s just best to sometimes expect the unexpected. I guess I will just have to wait, as patiently as possible, and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment